[Tagging] recreational vs functional routes

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 18:33:47 UTC 2020

I would like to return to the initial question of this thread, and looking
at it from the end users point of view.

When in a car, I use my navigation device in real time to get as
comfortably as possible from A to B to C and so on.
I may select to avoid motorways, and may give preference to minor roads.
But if I want to go along the  Route des Vins d'Alsace , my basic
navigation system will not help. In that case I have to follow the signs of
the  Route des Vins d'Alsace.

When riding my bicycle, I use a navigation web site normally off-line
beforehand, to get as comfortable as possible  from A to B to Ca. Thai
gives me typically the choice t select the bicycle type: road bike, touring
bike, MTB. If I want to go along recommended tourist routes I can select a
site that gives preference to ways that follow cycle routes (i.e. a route
relation in OSM-speak with type=bicycle). The routing algorithm on that
site assumes that by selecting a bicycle route in OSM I am on a safer route
(because it makes use of bicycle infrastructure where available) but also
that the route is more interesting from the tourist perspective.
But there are - few - cycle routes in OSM that  are purely indicating
bicycle commuter routes. Examples: from the routes of the small town
Pesaro's Bicipolitana (OpenCycleMap
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=pesaro#map=13/43.9039/12.9054&layers=C>,
network map
<http://www.comune.pesaro.pu.it/fileadmin/user_upload/COMUNE_PESARO/AREE_TEMATICHE/VIABILITA_MOBILITA/Pagine/Bici/Bicipolitana/mappa/CityMap_BICYCLE_fronte.jpg>)
to big-city networks like Berlin
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=berlin#map=13/52.5094/13.4149&layers=C>,
Paris
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7444#map=13/48.8589/2.3469&layers=C>,
London
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=london#map=10/51.5076/-0.1276&layers=C>
.
Than we have traditionally many "bicycle" routes that really are MTB routes
(because they have been created before the type=MTB had been defined).
I would assume that there are road-bike bicycle relations in OSM, but don't
know any example.
So yes, it makes perfect sense to distinguish different bicycle route types.