[Tagging] Tagging Free Water for cafés, bars, restaurant

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 13 11:40:59 UTC 2020

On 2020-01-13 12:18, European Water Project wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 1)
> free_water=yes if it is available to anybody, and free_water=customers  is very confusing and people will mis-tag free water for paying customers as free_water=yes

This model is used for many other tags in OSM. One of the most
fundamental tags, access=*, uses it to show "access only for customers"
for example. See
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:access%3Dcustomers .
free_water=customers would not look out of place at all in that list.

The other dimension that has been mentioned, is "bring your own
container" vs. "we supply the container". Something like
"container=customer", "container=supplier" or "container=both" perhaps?