[Tagging] How to tag oneway restriction applying to pedestrians?

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Mon Jan 13 16:07:32 UTC 2020

On 1/13/2020 9:43 AM, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 8:21 AM Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Not very intuitive but, perhaps in rare cases, necessary.  What if the road is
>> one-way to both vehicles and pedestrians but vehicles go from A to B whilst
>> pedestrians go from B to A?
> You beat me to it!
>
> I know I've seen a footway on the verge of the roadway signed, 'WALK
> ON LEFT, FACING TRAFFIC.' If the road was a dual-carriageway (it might
> have been, I don't recall now), then we'd have had exactly that
> situation.  "Just reverse the way" isn't a solution when it's forward
> for one mode and backward for another.

The "traditional" (by my observation) way to tag this would be:
highway=residential
oneway=yes
oneway:foot=-1

Using the forward/backward tags, it would be:
highway=residential
oneway=yes
foot:forward=no
foot:backward=yes

IMO they're both ugly. Don't love -1, and don't love introducing a new
backward/forward scheme with basically the same meaning and possibly
ambiguous interactions with the older oneway scheme.

...Scouting around on Overpass, I found one footway that was tagged
something like this:
highway=footway
foot:forward=designated
foot:backward=yes

I think it was something like a nature trail or historic walk where
there's a designed direction of foot traffic but it's not an actual
restriction. That's the best justification I've seen for the
foot:forward/foot:backward tags, though of course one could conjur up
some value like oneway=intended that could mean the same thing.