[Tagging] Special traffic signs - still highway=traffic_signals?

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 18:51:08 UTC 2020

Hi Mateusz

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 at 17:06, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com> wrote:

> There are some special traffic signals near me
>
> - usually flashing yellow, that has no meaning
> - turning red in case of an incoming
> special vehicle
>
> Special vehicle may be
>
> (1) emergency vehicle leaving fire department
> in this case it gets activated probably once or
> twice a day
>
> (2) tram on a level crossing
> - in peak about over every four minutes,
> during day about once 15 minutes
>
> How to tag this cases?
> Like any other traffic light?

There are already some secondary tags in use and documented for these
kinds of traffic signals:

  * traffic_signals=emergency (902 uses): a normal-looking traffic
signal, often in front of a fire station, that turns red only to give
emergency vehicles right-of-way. Color details may be different (e.g.
flashing yellow instead of solid green in the bottom lens). Often a
sign mounted next to the signals states 'emergency signal'.

  * traffic_signals=bus_priority/tram_priority (321/160 uses):
normally off, but whenever a bus or a tram approaches, it first blinks
yellow and then changes to red to allow or facilitate passage for the
bus or tram

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:traffic_signals

I'm going to adjust the documentation for the normal state of these
special case of traffic signals, as they may be off or blinking
yellow.

Regards

Markus