[Tagging] How to tag oneway restriction applying to pedestrians?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 00:29:13 UTC 2020

> following this logics, "oneway:foot" means the oneway restriction applied to pedestrians, and the result would be no restriction, because "oneway" already has no implication for pedestrian

That "logic" is not logical. Why would another mapper or a database
user assume that? If I saw this tag as a mapper, it would be logical
to assume that the oneway restriction did indeed apply to foot travel.
It is the same as a database user designing a routing application or
renderer - you are not going to assume that a tag is meaningless
(unless it looks like it came from a bad import).

(This sort of pedantic arguement is like claiming that "I don't got no
money" means "I have money" because it is a "double negative", but in
fact double negatives are extremely common in spoken languages as a
means of emphasis, and are perfectly "standard" in many (like Spanish,
Indonesian, and many dialects of English).)

-Joseph Eisenberg