[Tagging] How to tag oneway restriction applying to pedestrians?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 08:47:32 UTC 2020

Am Di., 14. Jan. 2020 um 01:30 Uhr schrieb Joseph Eisenberg <
joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>:

> > following this logics, "oneway:foot" means the oneway restriction
> applied to pedestrians, and the result would be no restriction, because
> "oneway" already has no implication for pedestrian
>
> That "logic" is not logical. Why would another mapper or a database
> user assume that? If I saw this tag as a mapper, it would be logical
> to assume that the oneway restriction did indeed apply to foot travel.

yes, it asks to apply the oneway restriction to foot travel, and the oneway
restriction is: "only drive in this direction". You do not drive your feet,
do you agree?

> It is the same as a database user designing a routing application or
> renderer - you are not going to assume that a tag is meaningless
> (unless it looks like it came from a bad import).

you will have choose the tags you will evaluate and you will likely drop
all the rest as meaningless (for your usecase) or insignificant.

> (This sort of pedantic arguement is like claiming that "I don't got no
> money" means "I have money" because it is a "double negative", but in
> fact double negatives are extremely common in spoken languages as a
> means of emphasis, and are perfectly "standard" in many (like Spanish,
> Indonesian, and many dialects of English).)

this is a completely different issue, because as you state, the double
negative is well defined in English as a means of emphasis. It would be
different in German, where it would indeed mean I do have money. Tags,
similar to language, depend on conventions, and for OSM tags my opinion is
that we should not have the double negative to mean negative, because it
seems quite confusing. In logics, "not no" means yes (or unknown etc., it
means anything but no). Lets see tags more like a programming language and
less like natural language.

Cheers
Martin