[Tagging] Query regarding seasonal tag combined for outdoor water fountains.

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 07:37:01 UTC 2020

On 15/1/20 4:55 pm, European Water Project wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Would it be appropriate to use the tag "seasonal" for a water fountain
> (whether tagged as "amenity=drinking_water" or "amenity = fountain and
> drinking_water = yes" )?
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:seasonal
>

> On the natural=spring page, the combination "natural=spring and
> seasonal= * " was suggested.
>
> But the combination of drinking_water= yes or amenity=fountain with
> tag seasonal was not suggested.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Stuart

You could use seasonal. open_hours could be used where there are set
dates, but seasonal if climatic conditions determine the timing.

An "amenity=fountain" is described as "A fountain for cultural /
decorational / recreational purposes."

I would not expect any of these in my country to be fit for drinking,
and I take the same attitude when traveling.

Some of these decorative ones are turned off seasonally - to prevent
damage from freezing pipes, or ice damage to the decorations,

The recreational ones may also get turned off for similar reasons, not
to mention it being too cold to get wet.

For a 'drinking fountain' there is man_made=drinking_fountain.

'