[Tagging] distance_from_road tag

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Jan 15 11:44:23 UTC 2020

I propose describing distance_from_road tag, defined as
"distance in meters from nearest road" as a misguided idea that should not
be used.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:distance_from_road was recently
created by PangoSE and claims
"Useful for indicating the distance to nearest road accessible by a
normal car for people who cannot walk very long because of illness or
pregnancy but anyway want to get out in nature. "

"I'm quite sure there is a clever GIS way of calculating this using a routing engine,
unfortunately no tool or website has yet been created to easily visualize this yet.
When this is available we could probably get rid of this tag or generate its values by bot."

I am 100% sure that such tags are not welcomed and especially bot idea is really
poor, but I want to ask other for confirmation.