[Tagging] Cooker or Stove in the kitchen?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 00:37:26 UTC 2020

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 00:26, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>

> British English speakers:
> If you are mapping a device which burns fuel or uses electricity to
> cook food in a pot or pan, is this a "cooker" or a "stove" or
> something else?
> What if it has an oven included, or doesn't?

With oven, and using electricity or gas, a cooker.  Without an oven, using
electricity or gas, a hot plate or hob (US English means something
different by "hob").

Wood or coal-burning, a stove.  Which used to be use for the electric and
gas variants too, but it seems to have dropped out of British English (well,
my idiolect) except for wood/coal burners.  And even then, the wood/coal
burner might be called a cooker anyway.  Or an Aga or other brand name.

Oh, and then there are microwaves, slow cookers, etc.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20200116/dabf930f/attachment.htm>

More information about the Tagging mailing list