[Tagging] building=disused

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 01:22:58 UTC 2020

On 16/1/20 12:08 pm, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 00:49, Joseph Eisenberg
> <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com <mailto:joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'm one of the maintainers of the Openstreetmap-carto style, but I
>     think the community should make tagging decisions based on what works
>     best for mappers and what makes logical sense, without worrying what a
>     particular renderer will do.
>

> Ummm, but what makes sense depends upon what popularly-used renderers
> do, especially if there are two ways of doing things which renderers treat
> differently.  If I map things that standard carto doesn't show, I
> can't spot
> my mistakes.

If the 'standard map' starts rendering 'disused=yes' the same way as
'disused:*=*' (presently not rendered) then what?

>     In this case I believe the decision to "deprecate" the tag disused=yes
>     was made hastily without thinking clearly about the cases when it
>     would make sense.
>

> That seems likely, now you've explained the history.  It also applies to
> abandoned and other lifecycle prefixes.

The problem is not with the tagging. The problem is with your
requirement for rendering.

>     But this is not always sensible in the case of physical features like
>     a disused man_made=water_tower - the feature looks the same whether or
>     not it is full of water, and general database/map users are interested
>     in these features as orientations points in the landscape, not as part
>     of the water supply network, so it's sensible to use
>     man_made=water_tower + disused=yes.
>

> That matches my thinking on the issue.  Others seem to agree.
>
> So, at the very least, the wiki needs to be amended. However, I'd feel
> happier if there were some assurance that we wouldn't have to amend
> the wiki yet again at some future point because somebody at standard
> carto decided that anything with disused=yes shouldn't be rendered.  An
> assurance like that might also persuade other cartos to do the same
> thing.

My thinking is that both 'disused=yes' and 'disused:*=* tag the same
condition. As such they should be treated equally by renders.

The only reason why there is a preference for 'disused=yes' is that the
present 'standard' render is ignoring it.

If you want physical objects with tagging for disused, abandoned, etc
rendered on the 'standard' map then put a pull request in.

Stop tagging for the render.