[Tagging] What values of 'emergency=' should be on the main Map features page?

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Sat Jan 18 14:49:54 UTC 2020

On 18.01.2020 14:18, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> Should we remove some of the rare values of "emergency=" which have
> got into Map Features?

In general it might make sense to have the complete list on the key page of emergency, and a
selection on map features.

> Like some other key pages, the Key:emergency page is a big list of
> features generated from a template, and the same template goes
> straight to the main list of Map Features.
>
> This is probably why the Map Features page section for "Emergency" has
> 24 values, even though half of them are rarely used and very few were
> every approved.

Be careful not to look into lower absolute numbers for features that exist in reality only in low
numbers.

Discussing some of your reasonings below:

> ) =mountain_rescue - "A mountain rescue base for a team providing
> search and rescue services in mountainous environments" - 185 uses
> - Remove: rare tag, only relevant in some regions.

Quite important in those regions!

> 2) =fire_water_pond " A man made or natural pond with water for a fire
> department." 2785 uses
> - Remove: This tag isn't verifiable, or else it could be added to any
> pond or small lake. It's not much used outside of Germany.

Why is that not verifiable? Such ponds typically have a red-framed sign "Löschwasserteich".
Ground-verifiable, not necessarily Bing-verifiable.

> 3) =access_point "A sign number which can be used to define your
> current position in case of an emergency" - 5555 uses
> - Remove: the similar tag 'highway=access_point" is much more common
> and was approved.

This is a good approach to improve tagging of emergency features by aggregating them under the
emergency key, in particular those that are not highway features.

> ) =landing_site "Preselected flat area for a helicopter to land in an
> emergency" 2543 uses
> - Uncertain: the tag aeroway=helipad is more common, and the
> distinction  is unclear

The distinction is that aeroway=helipad is a purpose-built infrastructure,
while emergency=landing_site is a predefined spot that is only used if there is an emergency nearby.
This could be a meadow, and there might be an agreement with the farmer to cut the grass regularly.

> (I think it will help to use a separate list at Key:emergency, which
> can be longer than the "official" list of Map Features.)

Yes. I noted that the language-translations of the Key:emergency page are quite heterogeneous,
some having their own list, some used the Map features list. Probably there should be a template
separate from the Map features template that can be included in each of them. Do you know how to
handle translation of the subheadings in such case?

tom