[Tagging] Continuous Sidewalk or Cycleway

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 10:02:07 UTC 2020

In Nederland, if traffic has to cross a sidewalk to get onto a road, it
> must give way to all other traffic when leaving the sidewalk. In effect,
> this cancels the priority to the right. rule.That makes it different from a
> zebra crossing, which does give priority to pedestrians, but does not
> cancel other priority rules.

This means in effect that here is a "give-way"  situation, just no sign.
Map it as highway=give_way.
The wiki states " The highway
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=give_way tag is used to
map points at which a traffic sign or marking instructs traffic travelling
..."
you have some kind of marking in the form of the crossing sidewalk.
The only problem is that you may have to put a lot of these nodes on the
map.

In that context a question (my ignorance): are there any routers that take
into account how often you have to give way (wait) when selecting the best
route?