[Tagging] admin_level on ways

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 11:43:45 UTC 2020

Am Mo., 27. Jan. 2020 um 11:21 Uhr schrieb Colin Smale <
colin.smale at xs4all.nl>:

However, practically this leeds to ambiguous situations, where for example
admin_level=4 is added to islands and might be misinterpreted as
administrative "standalone" level 4 entities (with the island name etc.).
While a clear separation of administration and coastline could solve this,
it would still mean continuous additional maintenance effort due to
duplication of already present information.

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that admin boundaries
and coastline are conceptually and geographically distinct, and should
almost never coincide. Admin boundaries are typically at the low-water
mark, and sometimes miles off shore, whereas the coastline is defined as
the high-water line.

While I am aware of this, it is not something that is actually reflected in
OSM (at least in my area) and is not something I believe we can
realistically distinguish (it may be different where high and low tide are
significantly different, but if they are very close, as is the case in the
mediterranean, it is hard to map). I would not want to request to be able
to distinguish high and low water in order to be able to map administrative
boundaries (although if you do use different geometry, it is of course
fine).

Cheers
Martin