[Tagging] highway=path for *all* mixed foot/bicycle highways?

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 16:41:16 UTC 2020

>> My own impression over the years has been that mappers use
>> highway=cycleway on anything that primarily for bicycle traffic, and add
>> access keys for any other permitted
I have never understood the use of tags like "cycleway", "bridleway", and
"footway."  To me these mix two different concepts (physical form and legal
access) in a single tag.  Also, in the parts of the US where I have lived
there have generally only been "multipurpose" paths/trails (a few
exceptions).  There are sometimes restrictions on a certain mode of travel
(which the land manager can change from time to time), but the trail is
really constructed for a variety of different uses.