[Tagging] highway=path for *all* mixed foot/bicycle highways?

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 27 16:58:53 UTC 2020

On 27/01/2020 15:36, Jmapb wrote:
> My own impression over the years has been that mappers use
> highway=cycleway on anything that primarily for bicycle traffic, and add
> access keys for any other permitted traffic. Similarly for
> highway=footway. So "highway=cycleway + foot=yes" and "highway=footway +
> bicycle=designated" are quite common. Is there a general consensus that
> these are better mapped as highway=path?

I tag any path which is designated for bicycle usage as
highway=cycleway. I then add foot=designated, segregated=* if it is a
shared use path (The vast majority of cases in the UK)

There's a misconception by some in OSM the highway=cycleway interprets
as bicycles bicycle riders as having priority. This is not the case. I
believe this misconception led to the path tag being created. AFAIK no
major renderers distinguish the path tag. Some have actively discouraged
it. I agree with them

DaveF