[Tagging] Disputed territory mapped as a country

Michael Reichert osm-ml at michreichert.de
Mon Jan 27 18:12:47 UTC 2020

Hi Alexey,

Am 27/01/2020 um 17.07 schrieb Захаренков Алексей:
> Today I discovered a new country in OSM, created in
> with the name "Disputed territory between France and Italy" and tags
> "type=boundary + boundary=administrative + admin_level=2+ disputed_area=yes".
> The relation itself: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/10629103
> Me and the changeset author could not come to agreement if the territory is
> mapped correctly. Please put an end to our dispute.

Thank you for the heads-up (although the Talk list might be an
appropriate place as well).

boundary=administrative + admin_level=2 is reserved for independent
countries which sovereignty their territory. (The definition of
independence and sovereignty are a bit complicated and I do not go into
details for the sake of brevity here).

One might argue about the level of independence and sovereignty of some
countries but this are up in the mountains is just an overlap of claims
and not an own country itself.

I removed this wrong tagging and commented on Very_p's changeset.

Best regards

Michael