[Tagging] Deprecate healthcare=pharmacy and healthcare=hospital

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Tue Jan 28 16:33:44 UTC 2020

On 1/28/2020 9:23 AM, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> The pages are nearly identical.
>
> Actually, the healthcare=pharmacy page was just made recently by
> copying the amenity=pharmacy page. Before it was only documented
> minimally at Key:healthcare

I believe the mappers who developed the healthcare=* scheme included
equivalents of the established heathcare-related amenity tags (doctors,
clinic, hospital, dentist, pharmacy) with the hope of slowly changing
features to the healthcare=* tags, with a long transitional phase where
some would be tagged with both amenity=* and healthcare=*. So it
wouldn't surprise me if the documentation is an exact copy.

At some point it appeared to me that iD was automatically adding the
equivalent healthcare=* tags to some amenities -- but it may have
actually been iD's "branding" bot that did that, matching amenities with
certain names.

IMO the healthcare tags deserve a chance and we shouldn't try to chip
away at them. But it would help to explain the situation on the relevant
wiki pages.

Jason