[Tagging] highway=path for *all* mixed foot/bicycle highways?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Jan 29 00:45:17 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 6:14 PM Yaro Shkvorets <shkvorets at gmail.com> wrote:

> That passage should be rewritten. That's certainly not the common practice.
> I personally tag `highway=cycleway` where bikes significantly outnumber
> foot traffic, `highway=footway` where foot traffic significantly outnumbers
> bikes, `highway=path` for the rest.
> If you need to explicitly disallow bikes or foot you use access tags.

This seems a little iffy.  I mean, footway is obvious, is it designed for
people on foot, and too narrow for oncoming bikes to meet?  Footway.  City
sidewalk?  Footway.  A path through a park?  Probably a path (especially if
it's multiuse), unless it's really narrow, then footway.  Has lanes but
isn't a street?  Cycleway.