[Tagging] highway=path for *all* mixed foot/bicycle highways?

Hubert87 sg.forum at gmx.de
Wed Jan 29 20:11:08 UTC 2020

Just my two cents from germany:

In general

hw=cycleway  <> hw=path + bicycle=designated;
hw=footway<> hw=path + foot=designated;
hw=bridleway <> hw=path + horse=designated;

For combinded foot and cycle paths: hw=path + bicycle=designated +
foot=designated + segregated=no;

For segregated foot and cycle paths:  hw=path + bicycle=designated +
foot=designated + segregated=no;

hw=path was supposed to decrapate hw=cycleway/footway/bridleway (*that
went well*)

hw=path is not only for trials. You can use "informal=yes"
(indocumented) if it's a path by "popular demand" and not a planned one.
Path itself also does not imply anything about it's surface. For that
use "surface=ground/compacted/asphalt/concrete/etc.", (*duh*)

Of course I'm not very familiary with mapping conventions in the new
world, so please take this at your discretion.

Yours
Hubert87