[Tagging] road names and refs

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Wed Jan 29 23:02:22 UTC 2020

On 1/29/20 16:17, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 4:07 PM Joseph Eisenberg
> <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com <mailto:joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     In my hometown, the main road was California highway 96, so “ref=CA
>     96” but we called it “Highway 96” so “name=Highway 96”.
>

> I think you're confusing name=* with addr:street=* in that case, Joseph.

JOSM has a mode where it renders highway=* with a color based on the
name=* and nearby addresses with color based on addr:street=*. This is
useful for finding misspelled and abbreviated road names either in the
address or on the road itself. I've always thought name=* was to refer
to the name of the road as used in addresses, usually indicated on
street signs. Have I missed something?

http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com