[Tagging] road names and refs

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 21:14:31 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 2:50 PM Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> Honestly, there is, and it's as Paul and I have described - you put the ref
> in the ref tag and leave the name tag blank. This is how it has been in OSM
> since pretty much day one. If a newbie in Europe puts a ref in the name tag,
> it gets stomped on pretty quickly.
>
> The reason it might seem otherwise in the States is that the TIGER import
> didn't populate the ref tag, just the name tag, and a lot of the TIGER
> import still hasn't been cleared up. So there's a bunch of TIGER-derived
> roads which have things like "name=County Road 23" (or Township Road, or "Co
> Rd", or many other variations).

OK, I'll add that to the things I look for. As I said, I'd been
retaining it only when it's the only name, and I never added any new
ways with that, merely refrained from repairing that case.

It's encouraging that in this particular discussion, that's the only
detail you guys say I got wrong. 'ref' tag on the way for the
renderer; road route relation with detailed network and ref; never an
alt_name or name_1, etc. with a route reference.

Oh, and a further corner case: Are we agreed that something like "Old
Route 7" has become a name?  It's no longer a ref, because Route 7 is
now elsewhere. It appears on street signs like any other name, not on
a reference banner, and it's the 'addr:street' of the houses on it.
--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin