[Tagging] road names and refs

Mark Wagner mark+osm at carnildo.com
Fri Jan 31 18:41:34 UTC 2020

On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 15:23:59 -0600
Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 3:15 PM Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Oh, and a further corner case: Are we agreed that something like
> > "Old Route 7" has become a name?  It's no longer a ref, because
> > Route 7 is now elsewhere. It appears on street signs like any other
> > name, not on a reference banner, and it's the 'addr:street' of the
> > houses on it.
>
> Eeeh, I'd generally suggest tagging that as noname=yes old_ref=US 7
> (if the old route was a US route) to retain more information.
> Signing is pretty similar, too, some places will leave the old
> shields up and change the banner from a cardinal to OLD until the
> signs wear out as a wayfinder for folks with outdated maps.  Much of
> the midwest, on nameless roads that have routes, just put something
> like "SH 33" or "Hwy 412" on the finger signs as a low-budget
> solution to posting a proper, potentially multicolor, die-cut,
> screen-printed shield and a double-ended arrow as is MUTCD standard
> for such a case.  addr:street still goes with however the post finds
> it.  It helps to know the local context quite a bit when trying to
> sort out how local authorities cheaped out on posting standard signs.

We're talking about things like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.9476496,-116.6987819,3a,48.7y,88.67h,85.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjR-Dn3KbBuH4y79suqVilg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

US 95 was re-aligned as part of upgrading it to Interstate standards
(the overpass in the background is the new routing). The old route has
ordinary street signs showing the name "North Old Highway 95" and no
shields.

--
Mark