[Tagging] Central European insight needed: cukrászda, cukrárna, cukiernia, ciastkarnia, cukráreň, pasticceria, konditorei, patisserie, ...

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 00:27:49 UTC 2020

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 01:02, Jarek Piórkowski <jarek at piorkowski.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 at 13:15, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > That may be the situation where you are but not where I am.  More than
> > half of the fast food outlets in my town have no seats and are takeaway
> only.
> > Many chip shops I've encountered in the UK are takeaway only.
>
> You've repeatedly referred to them as takeaways.

It's a common idiom in the UK, Australia and New Zealand.  I cannot
guarantee that it is always the case, but every takeaway I recall
has sold fast food of some kind.  Few people would want to stand
in a queue while raw food is cooked for them.  The places aren't
large enough for the size of queue that would build up at peak
times if people were prepared to wait.  Chip shops occasionally
run out of chips or something else and the 10 minute wait seems
interminable, so people often change their order or walk out.

Pretty much all takeaways sell only fast food.  Not all
fast food outlets are takeaway=only.

> Maybe tag them amenity=takeaway

Good idea.  Except that value is not officially agreed and isn't
rendered.  Are you suggesting somebody propose it?

> and leave amenity=fast_food for the other kinds of
> places?

So you're saying that amenity=fast_food should only be used where
there are seats?  That goes contrary to many people's
expectations.  And sort of implies that takeaways don't
serve fast food.   In any case, given the number of places already
mapped, retagging of that sort isn't feasible.

What we have isn't very good.  I don't see any feasible way of
making it much better.  Maybe split off coffee shop from
cafe (except we'll never agree on a name because people will
want to map tea houses and bubble tea places, and juice-only
places, and milk bars).

--
Paul