[Tagging] Central European insight needed: cukrászda, cukrárna, cukiernia, ciastkarnia, cukráreň, pasticceria, konditorei, patisserie, ...

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 21:30:12 UTC 2020

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 22:10, Jarek Piórkowski <jarek at piorkowski.ca> wrote:

> Yeah, but we're being told that British takeaways are very different
> from other casual food places that have seating

A takeaway doesn't have seating.

and the provision of seating is of key interest to Paul.

Yep.  If you're on foot (I usually am) and you live in a country that is
often cold and it frequently rains (I do) then seating is a key factor
in deciding where to go for food.

> So, are they different enough to have a new root tag? Or do we accept
> ambiguity of cafe/fast_food root tags and specify with subtags?

Or do we smoosh them all up into one aggregate tag and not bother
with distinctions?  That would work.  It would make it far easier to
tag things.  No agonizing decisions about whether it's one thing
or

> In my reading, that's what the entire discussion has been about.

I think it also had a little to do with exploring cultural differences both
in how different cultures categorize things, and how those cultures
use tags for those categories, and where the mismatches are, and
how we fix things.

BTW, I happily admit to being the only member of my own culture.
It's distantly related to British culture, but with some quirks. :)

--
Paul