[Tagging] How to tag a light that is always green for certain directions?

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 20:58:57 UTC 2020

On 06/07/2020 15.28, Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> On 7/6/20 12:59, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/7688734125 is a traffic light that is
>> always green for straight traffic (left turns get a cycle). Is there a
>> way to tag this?
>>
>> (I recall seeing a way to tag a signal as always green, but a) IIRC it
>> didn't distinguish always green *only* for certain directions, and
>> anyway b) I can't find it again, even using the wiki search or Google.)
>
> traffic_signals=continuous_green for the approach that has a continuous
> green. The left turn traffic should have a standard traffic signal node.

I can't see how that can work. The intersection has a "single" light
(single cluster of signals, anyway; one signal per lane as is often the
case), and is a fairly typical three-lane highway (three lanes
westbound, that is). The lanes are not separated in any way aside from
lane markings. Unless I am *completely* misunderstanding you (always
possible), the only way what you're proposing would work is if the left
turn lane was modeled as a separate way from where the turn lane starts,
which is a) a pain to model, and b) just not done AFAICT (and very
likely not recommended either!).

See
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8624981,-73.7768253,3a,75y,276.06h,92.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swTw_2p-hAbi7yl-tRuPloQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192.

Moreover, I'm reasonably confident I've seen *actual* single signals
that were always green for one direction (e.g. a four-lamp signal with
red/yellow/green 'up' arrows and an always-on green right arrow).

Maybe we need something like traffic_signals:through=continuous_green? I
suppose we could also do traffic_signals:lanes, but that seems fraught
with parsing pitfalls, and wouldn't work anyway for e.g. a signal on a
single lane that always has a green right arrow but a regular cycle for
other traffic.

--
Matthew