[Tagging] How can I tag which lane has tram tracks?

Jarek PiĆ³rkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Tue Jul 7 01:09:35 UTC 2020

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 at 20:15, Jarek PiĆ³rkowski <jarek at piorkowski.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 at 15:56, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging
> <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
> > tram:lanes:forward=designated|none
> > tram:lanes:backward=designated|none
> Looks like tram:lanes variations have around 1100 uses right now,
> embedded_rails variations around 5700 uses. I'm actually not sure if
> they mean something different?

I'm sorry, I realized I got the use count comparison wrong because I
included the non-lane-specific embedded_rails tags.

* embedded_rails:lanes plus embedded_rails:lanes:both_ways plus
embedded_rails:lanes:backward plus embedded_rails:lanes:forward is
used 610 times

* tram:lanes plus tram:lanes:forward plus tram:lanes:backward is used
1035 times - so more

I've not really seen tram:lanes tagging before, how is it used?

Looks like a substantial amount of the uses is tram:lanes:forward=yes
(364 uses) and tram:lanes:backward=yes (317) - mostly on two-lane
streets in Helsinki? tram:lanes:forward=designated|none would indeed
fit that schema.

--Jarek