[Tagging] Specialty Coffee

Jake Edmonds jake_edmonds at me.com
Wed Jul 8 13:58:57 UTC 2020

> On 8 Jul 2020, at 14:01, Niels Elgaard Larsen <elgaard at agol.dk> wrote:
>
> Jake Edmonds via Tagging:
>
>> Maybe that’s true but if people are looking for it, it should be searchable?
>
> Then we need something objective.
> Maybe coffee_species or coffee_brand
> in the same way that we have breweries for restaurants.

When I arrive in a new city in a new country, I’m not familiar with the local brands of coffee. A cafe serving speciality coffee introduces me to them.

> If a restaurant only have beer from one brewery, then it is probably boring,
> especially if it is one of the big global companies.
>
> If it has beers from 10+ breweries on tap then it probably cater to customers
> interested in beer and some of them will be interesting or good. Even or especially
> if I do not know any of the breweries.

That’s true.
Being able to pull up a list of cafe’s with the brands of coffee they sell and then searching for the roasters website should reasonably quickly tell me whether it’s a specialty location or not.

>> Twice as expensive as what?
>
> €20 espressos in Venice should quality. But I am not so sure about the specialty.
> https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/venice-st-marks-square-cafe-prices-tourists-san-marco-a8481376.html
In my city, an espresso costs the same in a cafe in the centre and in a cafe outside the centre 15 minutes away with their own roastery.