[Tagging] How to map terrace buildings with names

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 14:17:25 UTC 2020

On 08/07/2020 09.50, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> On 8. Jul 2020, at 15:43, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> In some sense, I could say that the question is whether the
>> building is *legally* multiple separate properties. For townhouses
>> and row houses, the answer is (typically) "yes". For apartments and
>> condominiums, the answer is (typically) "no".
>
> for apartments and condominiums the answer is yes, at least some
> times and in some jurisdictions, and referring to the dwelling (the
> shared areas are not divided, there is shared ownership typically)

Really? If Alice and Bob each own 50% of "Fairview Heights Apartments",
you would expect that there are legal property records indicating
exactly which half of said complex is owner by Alice and which half is
owned by Bob? (Note that the *tenants* don't own *any* of it.)

For condominiums, AFAIK, the *definition* of condominium vs. townhouse
is that you only own a specific *interior* space and *not* the exterior.
(Mortgage lenders for townhouses are quite insistent about clarifying
this, as you need a different class of insurance for exactly this
reason. Again, firsthand experience.)

...but again, I would argue that if *the property records* divide the
building, so should OSM. (In fact, I'd probably go so far as to apply
that to malls and any other structures, not just housing.) If nothing
else, it's a fairly unambiguous rule; plus the property records can tell
you where to put the divisions without needing blueprints of the structure.

--
Matthew