[Tagging] How to map terrace buildings with names

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 14:32:13 UTC 2020

On 08/07/2020 10.21, Chris Hill wrote:
> Google's Terms of Use prevent us reusing their Streetview in OSM, see
> section 2d.

"Apart from any license granted to you by Google, your use of the
content may be acceptable under principles of 'fair use.' Fair use is a
concept under copyright law in the U.S. that, generally speaking,
permits you to use a copyrighted work in certain ways without obtaining
a license from the copyright holder."

This smells a lot like how Red Hat prevents people from cloning them.
Namely, they can't, because they don't have a legal leg to stand on as
far as enforcing copyright claims against anyone doing so. What they
*can* do is revoke the rights to use *their* services.

So, okay, I can see an argument that "copying" makes your use of Google
maps unauthorized. I still can't see an argument where Google could come
after OSM.

--
Matthew