[Tagging] Distinguishing closed office spaces and client service locations?

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 14:04:00 UTC 2020

(Apologies if this double-posts; my mail client is telling me it
couldn't be sent, but I've known it to lie about that...)

On 09/07/2020 18.57, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:
> Jul 9, 2020, 23:58 by pla16021 at gmail.com:
>> I take "customers" to mean "non-employees who may access the
>> facility because of interactions with the controlling organization."  Not
>> staff.  Private means that nobody but staff (excepting emergency
>> services, plumbers who have been called in to deal with a problem,
>> etc.) have access.
>>
> Good point, I also used access=customers for churchgoers-only parking lot.

I think this makes sense also. To a previous point, I take
access=customers to mean someone intending to visit the associated
location, whether that's a store, a church, a doctor's office, ...

BTW, I've used access=customers for parking lots that aren't
*explicitly* marked 'customers only', but where I would expect the
proprietors would nevertheless be annoyed by people just using their
lots that aren't going to the associated store (or church, or ...) at
all. Should I not do that? Is there a clear rule for when to use
access=customers vs. access=permissive?

(I would probably use access=permissive for e.g. a mall parking lot,
where it's not strictly public, but where you wouldn't be expected to be
visiting a particular building or organization such that it's much less
clear whether or not you are a "customer".)

--
Matthew