[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - junction=intersection

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Fri Jul 10 16:22:39 UTC 2020

Matthew,
Interesting suggestion. The sumo github page doesn't appear to have any
open issues that involve OSM and intersections that I could find. (I only
looked at intersection issue titles) Has this been reported to the sumo
developers? Sumo documentation does suggest fixing OSM issues but other
than that it seems to indicate that OSM data is suitable for use with their
software.

You mention that the duplicate traffic signals are a problem but I don't
understand from your proposal how traffic signals should be tagged in your
proposal. Could you update your proposal to include how they are to be
tagged as part of the intersection.

Best,
Clifford

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 7:15 AM Matthew Woehlke <mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com>
wrote:

> As some of you may recall, I'm working on a project to do traffic
> simulation with the help of OSM data and SUMO¹.
>
> One of the issues that SUMO has is that the typical method of modeling
> intersections (which I don't propose to change, mostly) results in SUMO
> thinking there are multiple intersections where there should only be
> one. For example, intersections of two dual carriageways produces four
> intersections and makes the turns much sharper than in reality.
>
> My use case isn't the only one that has issues with this sort of thing;
> routers can "see" more traffic lights than actually exist and can (so I
> hear, anyway) give directions that are potentially confusing.
> Intersection modeling is a long-standing issue that has had multiple
> previous proposals.
>
> The major two prior proposals of which I'm aware are to map the
> 'footprint' of the intersection as an area, or to create relations to
> map the intersection. Both are difficult, both to model, and for tools
> to parse. The area proposal has potential rendering issues.
>
> I am proposing² a *much* simpler alternative, which is to simply tag the
> portions of a road that are "part of" an intersection (i.e. the 'm',
> 'n', 'p', 'q' segments of
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Doublejunction.svg) with
> junction=intersection. This is straight-forward to model, and I believe
> solves most of the issues for a majority of affected intersections.
> (Exceptions likely exist, but 'perfect' is the enemy of 'good', and
> right now we're at 'bad'.)
>
> Comments would be appreciated!
>
> Also, should I start just doing this for the areas I'm trying to use for
> my project, or is it better to wait for some degree of consensus?
>
>https://www.eclipse.org/sumo/)
>

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/junction%3Dintersection
> )
>
> --