[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (Ground)

mbranco2 mbranco2 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 17:36:10 UTC 2020

I hope that this discussion and the related proposal wiki page will lead to
a solution, because I found several times, mapping in Africa with HOT
projects, "desertic lands" and I didn't find a tag for this.

If we search the Internet for "barren soil", we can find a lot of
ground-level related images.

And I think that we could map such characteristic even with only imagery
(without direct survey), because it's a "macro" feature, as is a wood or a
scrub.

Maybe images was shot in a particular season, and the soil condition is not
always the same?
Well, if I check several imageries and in all of them I see a "desertic
land", I'm confident I can map that area with the tag we're talking about.
And I think it doesn't matter if for few days a year (or few days in
several years...) it will rain and there will be - for few days - a bit of
vegetation: it's not an OSM mapping rule, to map the "main" characteristic
of an item?

Surely it could be useful if botanists and/or geologists could better
specify (with more specific tags) the cause: no rain? pollution? specific
ground-conditions such as presence of salt or sulfur?

For the main tag, I think that "natural" is the right key (being already
natural=sand/bare_rock/shingle/scree...).
About the value, I'd prefer a botanic or geologist suggest us the best word.

Some references:
- "Barren vegetation" [1]  (..."Regions on the earth’s surface where soils
are dominating the ecosystems with little to no plant cover are often
referred to as “Barren”. )
- "Barren land" [2] (an old web page from NASA: "...ecosystems in which
less than one third of the area has vegetation or other cover. In general,
Barren Land has thin soil, sand, or rocks."). This web page cites "A Land
Use and Land Cover Classification System for Use with Remote Sensor Data",
a free paper you can find in Google Books too.
- "Barren soil is starving Africans" [3]

Other examples of "desertic" lands:
- Bonneville (USA) [4] (maybe some of you saw World's Fastest Indian, the
lovely movie with Anthony Hopkins :-) )
- La Leona (Patagonia) [5]

Ciao!
Marco (mbranco2 / UNGSC-mbranco2)