[Tagging] site relations for city walls?

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 20:33:36 UTC 2020

On 12/07/2020 20:13, Taskar Center wrote:

> Why is the relation type on the Berlin Wall a “collection” rather than
> “boundary”?

Over its history as an object in OSM it's had a whole variety of tags.
Different people have said "This is important!  We should render it!"
and have sometimes tried to do that by adjusting the tags until they
found something that rendered.  Other people have tried to change tags
to better reflect the current reality.
http://osm.mapki.com/history/relation.php?id=6651797 tells the story.

Personally, I don't think that "boundary" would be a good relation type
for it because it isn't one - it's the route of a former barrier within
a boundary.  Compare
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6651797#map=19/52.51616/13.37698
with the suburb boundary just to the west.

Best Regards,

Andy