[Tagging] network tag on route relations

Clay Smalley claysmalley at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 22:31:36 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 3:08 PM Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I still don't understand why you tag "US" while it's obviously a bunch of
> roads in the US. or Interstate when the road clearly crosses state lines. I
> think that"s more redundant than tagging "we classify this route as a
> regional route", even though it might cross two national borders in a few
> places and half the roads are outside our borders, and we don't know the
> current operator or provider.

Because they are two separate networks with roughly the same geographical
scope. How would you distinguish Interstate 30 from US Route 30, which are
hundreds of miles away from each other?

Some Interstate highways do not cross state lines themselves, but the idea
behind the name is that the network as a whole does. Regardless, that's
just the name for our national freeway network.

-Clay