[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (Ground)

Michael Montani michael.montani at un.org
Mon Jul 13 07:29:24 UTC 2020

Doing some wrap up:

> Barren sounds to me to imply nothing can grow there.Bare sounds more
neutral and factual to me, it just says there is nothing but bare soil to
mark the area with.Please correct if I am wrong!

For the 'barren vs bare' discussion, I would go for natural=bare_soil, not only for the meaning but also for a matter of consistency with the already existing natural=bare_rock.

>Even those photos show that there is some vegetation there, even though
it's sparse.
At what level of plant growth, does it stop being "bare ground"? One
"plant" (tree / shrub / patch of grass etc) per sq km / 100 / 10 / 1 sq m?
Maybe, instead of saying it's bare ground, we need some way of describing
the level of ground cover eg vegetation=sparse or similar?

To me, I'm ok in considering bare_soil with some vegetation. But obviously not too much, otherwise I would switch to natural=scrub. Also, a natural=bare_soil + vegetation=sparse to me would be natural=scrub or natural=grassland. A (little) tree/shrub/patch every (approximately) 10 sq m or more seems good to me to state it's bare_soil. The photos I posted, have some scrub polygon surrounding the groundy area for sure.

Also, I would go for bare_soil targeting silt or clay soil, loam and mixture humus and mineral soil. To me, all these areas don't have a current OSM tag correctly defining all of them, apart when inserted in an environmental or geological context as wetlands.
Indeed, I wouldn't use bare_soil when a wetland can reasonably describe in a correct way the area, as well as a thin layer of grass (e.g. lichens in tundra) is covering the ground (in that case natural=grassland).
Furthermore to me is not meaningful to specify whether a soil is mostly humus as, if the organic matter percentage is high, most probably vegetation will grow there in a while. As you may have imagined, this tag proposal was born mostly to map arid areas rather than general soil, but soil seems to be a huge gap in OSM landcover tagging.

Unfortunately is very hard to retrieve on-the-ground photos in Africa, but I think these areas are very common in places outside the European context. Feel free to add photos (if you have any) at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Ground#Examples

Thanks,

--
Michael Montani
GIS Consultant, Client Solutions Delivery Section

Brindisi | Phone: +39 0831 056985 | Mobile: +39 3297193455 | Intermission: 158 6985