[Tagging] network tag on route relations

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 16:49:39 UTC 2020

I am not saying get rid of the network tag, I am saying we should be
> consistent.  In the above case, if  network=UK (instead of network=ncn),
> one would know it is national. First because the UK is a nation and there
> is no smaller jurisdiction that follows "UK" in the tag, and because there
> would be cycle routes all over the UK where network=UK.

Numbering in the UK reflects the "importance" of a route:
National routes carry two-digit numbers
Regional routes carry three-digit numbers
Local cycle routes are less consistently labelled.
OSM, born in the UK  has inherited this approach

The UK national bicycle network is managed by Sustrans - see
https://www.sustrans.org.uk/national-cycle-network

Similarly tiered systems exist in the Netherlands and Germany.

In Italy there is a similar approach, that mirrors the administrative
organisation of the country: National routes connect several regions.
Regional routes connect severela provinces and local routes are typically
within a single province.

Volker (Italy)

Virus-free.
<#m_3447769538172802524_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>