[Tagging] site relations for city walls?

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 14:21:17 UTC 2020

On 15/07/2020 05.43, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 at 08:35, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> there is the "maxstay" tag which can be used with a value like 5 or 15
>> minutes.
>> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/maxstay#values
>
> That works semantically, but the rendering is (on many cartos) misleading.
> If it looks like a car park on the map, people assume it's a car park.  Few
> will go to the trouble of querying the tags to find there's a max stay.

...which is IMHO dumb, because time-limited parking is extremely common
in some instances (especially metered parking in cities). Granted, the
maximum stay is usually hours, not minutes. OTOH...

> The label would help avoid confusion but to me it doesn't feel like a
> car park as I understand the term.
...15-minute parking for a store in which you usually don't spend a lot
of time doesn't really make it "not parking" either.

--
Matthew