[Tagging] How to tag minor commercial roads?

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Thu Jul 16 17:29:20 UTC 2020

On 7/16/2020 1:17 PM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> I'm wondering what, if anything, I should do with
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/351516889. It doesn't seem to meet
> the definition of a highway=residential, but I'm not convinced it is a
> lowly highway=service, either, but I also can't easily demonstrate it
> is highway=tertiary.
>
> How should I classify this?

The exact definition of highway=service is a little murky, but I think
of it as a way intended to serve a particular feature (or set of them)
as opposed to a way that is part of the general public road network
(which would be residential and up.)

This looks like highway=service to me, as does that circle and the
adjacent segment of Wharton Drive.