[Tagging] Finger- or guide-post text

Jan Michel jan at mueschelsoft.de
Fri Jul 17 15:24:41 UTC 2020

Hi Andy,
we already have (not well documented) tags for this:

Either you use destination_sign relations as Sarah pointed out. Or, if
you prefer a more simple approach, there are eight defined keys to add
the information with approximate directions:

direction_north, ..., direction_southwest, direction_northeast, ...

For some reason they are only mentioned on the German Wiki page
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Tag:information%3Dguidepost

But they are used almost 30,000 times already, see e.g.
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/direction_south

These eight cardinal directions seem to be quite imprecise, but if you
look at common intersections, they are able to cover almost all cases.

Jan