[Tagging] Waterway equivalent of noexit=yes?

Tod Fitch tod at fitchfamily.org
Sat Jul 18 17:52:10 UTC 2020

During this period of “social distancing” I’ve been trying to work down the number of errors that tools like Osmose have reported about my editing. I am getting close to starting on the warnings about waterways not connecting properly. There are a couple of situations that I’ve mapped that I believe would benefit from having a waterway equivalent to the noexit tag used on highways:
A number of housing developments in my semi-arid area have concrete lined exposed drainage ditches installed on hill side cuttings to control erosion. Those ditches usually lead to a grates to an underground storm water piping system. The issue is that there is little or no evidence where those underground pipes go. So the exposed drainage ditches I’ve mapped just end at the grate and I get warnings from QA tools.
I’ve done some mapping in the much more arid desert areas inland and there is another issue there. The ephemeral waterways that start in the hills and mountains sometime turn into a delta like fan of splitting ways each eventually ending/disappearing in random places on the valley floor. My experience from hiking and driving in these areas indicates that the waterways are more visible from the air than on the ground, so if it disappears on the aerial imagery, it most definitely disappears if viewed on the ground.
I’ve found nothing in the wiki that seems to fit these situations.

What I’d like is one or two tags to indicate that all visible indications of a water way ends at this point and that the QA tools should not flag them as errors to be fixed.

I can see that the underground storm drain system may need a different indication as the waterway does continue, it is just not visible where. But in the desert cases, the water ways really do just end. Maybe two variations: “It continues but in unknowable direction” and another for “it really does stop here”.

Looking at TagInfo, the case of the surface drains disappearing might be covered by the lightly used and undocumented “drain:point_feature=inflow_pipe” [1]. But I haven’t found anything for the desert situation.

Suggestions?

—Tod

[1] https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/drain%3Apoint_feature=inflow_pipe#overview