[Tagging] Waterway equivalent of noexit=yes?

Tod Fitch tod at fitchfamily.org
Sat Jul 18 19:53:09 UTC 2020

> On Jul 18, 2020, at 12:24 PM, Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 18/07/2020 19:41, Alan Mackie wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 at 19:09, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 at 18:53, Tod Fitch <tod at fitchfamily.org> wrote:
>>
>> What I’d like is one or two tags to indicate that all visible indications of a water way ends at this point and that the QA tools should not flag them as errors to be fixed.
>>
>> One of the things we need is an anti-spring.  Marked on Ordnance Survey maps
>> as a sink.  We have natural=sinkhole but that seems only to apply to a large
>> hole and/or depression.
>>
>> The closest I can find on the wiki is manhole=drain? sinkhole=ponor seems to be for natural-looking versions.
>>
> The "one that everyone* did in geography at school" is https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/944314148/history
>
> That's currently tagged as "waterway=cave_of_debouchement”.

The desert ones aren’t sink holes. Often the intermittent/ephemeral waterways spread out over the pediment [1] or alluvial fan [2] at the base of the mountains and simply dissipates.

Not yet mapped, but if you look at the Bing Imagery for this area [3] you can see a well defined “wash” (local term for this type of waterway) coming from the hills/mountains to the west and fan out to nothing over the desert floor in a north easterly direction.

[1] https://www.britannica.com/science/pediment-geology
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alluvial_fan#In_arid_climates
[3] https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/33.0877/-116.1253