[Tagging] Finger- or guide-post text

Jan Michel jan at mueschelsoft.de
Mon Jul 20 08:01:49 UTC 2020

Hi Kevin,

On 20.07.20 05:51, Kevin Kenny wrote:
[In the context of relation type=destination_sign]
> Do I understand the intent correctly that the direction should be the
> way that the finger is pointing, and not the cardinal direction of the
> route?
Yes, the tags on the relation describe the finger.
You can even use a number to give the precise direction in degrees.

> I ask because in the US, we often describe a direction as "trail
> north" or whatever in that a hiker going 'northbound' on the route will
> be walking in that direction - which may be any direction at all on the
> compass.
> Following my accustomed habit of jumping right in with the awkward
> cases, I might try to compose the relations for
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/7881561738/in/album-72157631291668040/ Note
> that the top two signs are 'north' and the bottom two are 'south' in
> terms of trail directions.
I don't think we have a scheme for trail directions yet.
But, displaying the trail name automatically is not an issue - the 'to'
member yields a node or way, and the software can easily look up the
relations this way belongs to.

> Simply having "to" as a distant node could yield a horribly misleading.
> Oh, wait, 'to' is the next node along the way, not the ultimate
> destination.
Correct. I prefer to use a way as 'to', and this way should start/end at
the intersection. This makes it easier to use the data and less prone
for ambiguities.

> Is there a way to give a node ref for what the
> 'destination' corresponds to?  On the sign in question, it might be nice
> to be able to indicate where Wawayanda Shelter is, since it's about 40
> km distant.

Nothing established. There are 200 cases of the role 'destination',
which I assume are used for exactly this purpose.

Jan