[Tagging] Waterway equivalent of noexit=yes?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 10:24:59 UTC 2020

On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 at 10:59, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

> manhole=drain is widely used in OSM for water drainage grids, that are not
> suitable for people to entr - se the photo on the wikipage
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:manhole%3Ddrain>

People have used manhole=drain for that purpose and the wikipage
for manhole=drain documents that use.  However, that photo appears
to be of a UK storm drain which is not a manhole by my definition
(too small for entry by a person) or by the wiki's definition for
Key:manhole which states "Hole with a cover that allows access to
an underground service location, just large enough for a human to climb
through."

In my opinion we should deprecate manhole=drain except where
it really is large enough for access by a person.  We need a
better tag.  Well, two tags.  One for storm drains and one
for sinks that are too small to merit natural=sinkhole with
any of the current sinkhole=* types.  Oh, and a tag for
spreads, too.

--
Paul