[Tagging] Hiking "guideposts" painted on rocks, trees etc.

Michal Fabík michal.fabik at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 12:41:00 UTC 2020

On 7/21/20 1:31 PM, Andy Townsend wrote:
> I've used "tourism=information; information=route_marker" for these.
> "trail_blaze" is also frequently used

That doesn't sound right to me. If I understand the description on the
Wiki[1] correctly, what is tagged as "information=route_marker" or
"information=trail_blaze" doesn't carry any information other than "this
is where the path is" (E.g.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_blazing#/media/File:GR-sign.jpg).
What I'm talking about is the same information that one can find on a
regular guidepost (i.e. names of destinations, distances to them and
directions marked with arrows), the only difference being the "technical
implementation", so to say, i.e. metal plates screwed to a pole vs.
painting on a rock surface, among others.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism%3Dinformation#Values

Regards,

--
Michal Fabík