[Tagging] Hiking "guideposts" painted on rocks, trees etc.

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Tue Jul 21 16:22:18 UTC 2020

On 7/21/2020 11:02 AM, Jan Michel wrote:
> Hi Michal,
> I would stay with information=guidepost for those.
> They serve exactly the same purpose, so they should get the same major
> tag. It's only the way the sign is made that is different. You can add
> the common tags like "support", "material", "location" or "colour" to
> give further details about the style of the marker.
>
> If it's really needed, we can also add another tag to specify the type
> of marker. Unfortunately guidepost=* has already been taken for
> something different, so one could define guidepost:type=*.
>
> Jan

I agree that a slightly metaphorical use of information=guidepost is the
best idea here -- it doesn't have to be a literal post. (A trail blaze
was originally a physical scratch in the tree bark, but it's rare to see
that now and the meaning has expanded to accommodate other styles.)

All of the alternative guideposts that Michal mentioned -- rock faces,
trees, walls, similar existing surfaces -- would be best encoded using
the location=* tag IMO.