[Tagging] Is there a good way to indicate "pushing bicycle not allowed here"?

Tod Fitch tod at fitchfamily.org
Wed Jul 22 15:34:58 UTC 2020

> On Jul 22, 2020, at 8:09 AM, Jmapb <jmapb at gmx.com> wrote:
>
> If this unfortunate tagging practice really needs to be preserved (the idea of retagging so many bicycle=no ways is certainly daunting) then I'd suggest a new key, dismounted_bicycle=*, which will function as a regulation key (like smoking=*) rather than a vehicle access key. Total bicycle prohibition would be encoded with both bicycle=no and dismounted_bicycle=no, and other dismounted_bicycle=* values can be developed for whatever the regulations are in particular situations.

Why? The suggestion that all the places that properly tagged bicycles=no now need to be revisited and have a new dismounted_bicycles=no tag added implies that the people who took “no” to mean something other than “no” prevail and the rest of us have to go back and re-tag things.

Since many miles/kilometers of ways will need to be retagged either way, why not go with the straight forward “no means no” and “dismount means dismount”? Makes a lot more sense to me that “no only really means no if there is an additional dismounted_bicycle=no” tag too.

Cheers!

—Tod