[Tagging] Hiking "guideposts" painted on rocks, trees etc.

Jan Michel jan at mueschelsoft.de
Thu Jul 23 18:02:56 UTC 2020

On 23.07.20 18:57, Paul Allen wrote:
> Here's an example I used to travel past regularly.  But that was years ago,
> and the last time I saw it was a couple of years before I started mapping.
> https://goo.gl/maps/fWvzsKneyMtSAFuW6  I remember roughly where it was,
> but not well enough to map it, so I haven't added it. If I did map it, standard carto
> would show it as a stylized fingerpost.

Interesting. I would classify this as a trailblaze, but not as a
guidepost. A guidepost is something that shows me which destinations a
way leads to. A trailblaze is a small sign that shows where the way is
I'm already following.

To me a guidepost is a guidepost, no matter whether it has fingers and a
post or not. That's minor details that can be handled by minor tags.
I think this matches very well the style many other tagging rules are
using. E.g. a "highway" is any kind of way, no matter the size and its
intended use and how it relates to the common use of the term "highway".