[Tagging] Two side-of-road parking questions

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 19:20:35 UTC 2020

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 19:43, Matthew Woehlke <mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm trying to tag a whole bunch of side-of-road parking, and I have two
> questions.
>
> First, what is the correct way to tag marked parking spaces? There is
> parking:lane:*=marked which would seem to apply, but then it isn't clear
> how to indicate the direction (parallel vs. diagonal vs. perpendicular)?
> It's also not entirely clear when I am or am not supposed to use
> 'marked'...

In a parking lot, amenity=parking_space.  It doesn't render on standard
carto, so you may not feel it worth the effort.  If it's not obvious from
the dimensions (parallel vs perpendicular should be) people will
see when they get there.  You've given the capacity but can't
map how many spaces are currently free - some things have to be
left to inspection.

> Second, at what point does "on street parking" become a parking lot?

When it's not part of the street.  The example image for
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:parking:lane is on-street
parking.  If the parking doesn't restrict the width of the road,
it's not on-street parking (my opinion).  I would class
https://goo.gl/maps/fwTzLdfKS3MTzhvA8 as being a (very
small) parking lot rather than on-street parking.  With on-street
parking, if nobody is parked there then traffic can flow there.

There are examples of the first *all* over Quantico (at least the
> "downtown" part). For examples of the second, consider:
>
>    https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/829371448
>    https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/829371451
>    https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/826561586

I looked at the second of those.  It's how I'd do it.

I am particularly struggling to decide what to do at places such as:

>    38.52057/-77.29185
>    38.52181/-77.29611
>    38.52125/-77.29711

Pretend they don't exist.  Map something else instead.

That first one is tricky.  I assume you're talking about the ordinary
parking
lot with the off-street parking adjoining rather than the separate 6-place
parking next to the building.  I'd map it as a large parking lot (as you
have)
and then the side-of-street but as a separate off-street parking of the
type you did for https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/829371451
then combine the two in a multipolygon.  i have no idea how well
that works or how it will be rendered, but it's probably as close as you
can get.
Actually, that#s three separate bits of off-street-parking because they're
interrupted by the access roads into the larger parking area.

I think I'd go with my first suggestion - pretend they don't exist. :)

--
Paul