[Tagging] Is there a good way to indicate "pushing bicycle not allowed here"?

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 20:16:34 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 1:36 PM Jmapb <jmapb at gmx.com> wrote:
> As I see it, having bicycle=no imply permission to push a dismounted
bicycle violates the principle of least surprise because it's inconsistent
with other *=no access tags. I wouldn't presume I could push my car along a
motor_vehicle=no way, or dismount my horse and lead it along a horse=no way.
bicycle=no is a strict "no", it is just that it means "no bicycling" or "no
bicycle riding."  Perhaps it is unfortunate that for modes of
transportation we picked nouns rather than verbs (e.g. foot vs. walking),
but that is what it is by long tradition.  A similar thing applies to
horse=no.  There are roads (some of the US Interstates) where you can not
ride your horse, but you can load your horse into a trailer, hook the
trailer up to your truck, and drive with your horse on those same roads.

I suggest that if what is prohibited is pushing the bicycle, then we make
an explicit tag for that bicycle_pushing=no. The same with regards to
carrying the bicycle. If possession is prohibited all together, then
bicycle_possession=no.

Mike