[Tagging] Two side-of-road parking questions

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 14:08:27 UTC 2020

On 24/07/2020 04.29, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:
> Jul 23, 2020, 20:42 by mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com:
>> I'm trying to tag a whole bunch of side-of-road parking, and I have two questions.
>>
>> First, what is the correct way to tag marked parking spaces? There
>> is parking:lane:*=marked which would seem to apply, but then it
>> isn't clear how to indicate the direction (parallel vs. diagonal
>> vs. perpendicular)?
>
> Depending on their direction? Can you link photos of case that is unclear for you?

Diagonal vs. perpendicular vs. parallel is clear. What I mean is it s
unclear how to tag e.g. marked, diagonal parking.

...or am I overthinking this? =marked;diagonal?

>>   It's also not entirely clear when I am or am not supposed to use 'marked'...
>
> "There are only some parking spaces available that are individually marked."
> so it seems to be used for example in case where there is a single parking space,
> 20m of no parking then other parking space (possibly in other direction),
> tree, parking space, 10m of no parking, 3 parking spaces and so on.

This makes me wonder if 'marked' shouldn't even be a type, and maybe
there should be an 'intermittent' tag instead.

>> Second, at what point does "on street parking" become a parking lot?
>>
>> There are examples of the first *all* over Quantico (at least the "downtown" part). For examples of the second, consider:
>>
>>   https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/829371448
>>   https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/829371451
>>   https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/826561586
>>
>> I am particularly struggling to decide what to do at places such as:
>>
>>   38.52057/-77.29185
>>   38.52181/-77.29611
>>   38.52125/-77.29711
>
> Can you link some photos?

Use your favorite satellite imagery. For example, use
https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=22/38.52057/-77.29185 and pull
something up (the MapBox for this area is very high resolution).

--
Matthew